Apply to Research Internship
Research Intern places are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis. Selection is highly competitive, and depends on suitability of the intended research, academic background, available funding and space. Not all available positions will necessarily be filled.
1. Applications to the program must be made through the online form, available here.
2. You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from addresses ~@oist.jp).
3. Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
4. Notification will be sent to successful applicants by 3 months after the deadline, at the latest.
5. Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
Those eligible to apply for the OIST Research Internship Program include excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions. Currently enrolled students must have approval from their home institution. Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST. Graduate School funded internships are highly competitive and are only awarded to outstanding applicants who are in the final 2 years of their academic program, or are recent graduates within the past year before the application deadline. In some cases, additional internship positions may be offered directly by OIST faculty to other outstanding applicants, particularly for those with highly-developed skills relevant to the group's research.
All application documents, including the letter of recommendation, must be sent by the deadline listed below for your intake dates. Application periods correspond to time ranges in which your internship starts.
The deadline for your application depends on the day you plan to start your internship. For example, if you plan to start May 1st, your "Desired Starting Date" is in the range of April 1st - September 30th, so the deadline is October 15th.
Actual internship periods may include parts of two or more separate intake periods (for example, you could request an internship that lasts from January 10th - May 10th).
|Desired Starting Date Range
(internship may extend beyond this period)
(~6-12 months ahead of start)
Approximate Notification Date
(for successful applicants)
Starting between October - March
March 15th - April 15th
|Round 2||Starting between April - September||
September 15th -
*Note: A special round of applications is open only for select students of a designated partner institution. Information about this program is shared internally by the partner institution. All other applications received outside of the regular application rounds will be automatically rejected.
Required Application Materials
You will need to open an account in order to apply to the program. Be sure to remember your username and password. You may complete the application all at once or in multiple sessions. Please fill out and submit the following materials to apply for the program:
1) Curriculum Vitae Sheet - OIST CV SHEET
2) Personal Statement - STATEMENT SHEET
3) Academic Transcript - Upload a scan of your current academic transcript in PDF format. Unofficial partial transcripts are accepted.
4) Recommendation Letter - A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required. The application system will ask him/ her directly, using the email contact details that you provide. Please obtain the consent of that person before submitting their details in the form. Be sure to also confirm the e-mail address before entering it in the web-form. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when a letter of recommendation is received by OIST.
5) ID Photo - Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation (image must be in JPG format, and less than 5 MB).
Once you have obtained/ prepared all the documents above, please apply to the program through this APPLICATION FORM.