Apply to PhD
The Graduate School accepts about 60 full-time graduate students per year. This ensures low numbers of students for each faculty member so that we can deliver best-in-the-world teaching for our graduate program. The basic requirement for the OIST Graduate Program is completion of a Bachelors, Masters or equivalent degree prior to the admission date.Students may submit an application at any time. Your application will be considered at the next admissions committee meeting. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next possible Admissions Workshop, held at OIST, as part of the selection process.
OIST strives to create and maintain an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment that does not discriminate against gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, medical condition, race, ethnicity, ancestry, culture, national origin, religion, or marital status. Applications from women and other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged. For more details, please refer to the OIST Graduate School Three Policies.
November 15, 2021 23:59 (JST UTC+9) - to participate in February 2022 Admissions Workshop
We are currently accepting applications for February 2022 Admissions Workshop. Due to Covid-19, the February 2022 Admissions Workshop will be held online.
March 31, 2022 23:59 (JST UTC+9)- to participate in June 2022 Admissions Workshop
Applications for the June 2022 Admissions Workshop will be accepted from November 16, 2021.
Number of Accepting Students
The Graduate School accepts 60 students. To conduct education and research tailored to the wishes and aptitude of each students, we accept a small number of students.
Completion of a Bachelors, Masters or equivalent degree. Furthermore, we accept applications from persons, who expect to complete their degree before the date of enrollment at the Graduate School.
We accept application documents only online. Please prepare all necessary documents written below in English and in a PDF file and upload all necessary documents at the application website.
Scanned copies of your current academic transcript and any other transcript from your past degree (BSc, MSc, etc.) in PDF format
Completed diploma (BSc, MSc, etc.) in PDF format.
- A scan of an unofficial transcript or other record of grades may be uploaded to the application website.
- English explanation is required for transcripts that are not written in English.
- If you have not graduated and do not have a diploma yet, please upload a certificate of enrolment from your institution that indicates your expected graduation date.
This should be not more than 400 words and should address the following points:
- The applicant’s scientific interests and aspirations, and
- What the applicant hopes to gain from undertaking graduate studies at OIST.
The application system requires applicants to submit a passport number and upload a scan of their passport photo page. It is essential that applicants from outside Japan have a valid passport for travel to Japan. You must supply your passport details in the application process.
Each applicant is required to have at least two and no more than five letters of recommendation from appropriate academic referees. Two is the minimum requirement, but as a rule, it is very helpful for the admissions committee to have three or more letters. In the online application system, the applicant will enter the name and email of each recommender. The system will then contact the referee directly for their letter.
- OIST strongly recommends that applicants ask academic referees in advance for permission to list them as recommenders. Recommendation letters needs to be submitted by the deadline. Referee comments are a very important part of the selection process, and it is the applicant's responsibility to first ensure that referees are willing to submit such a letter, and then that they do submit before the deadline.
- Recommender’s letters will be treated as confidential material and will not be available to applicants or parties other than OIST faculty members assessing the application. In registering a recommender the applicant acknowledges that there is no right to read the recommender’s letter.
- You can only submit your application after at least two recommendation letter are received in the application system.
An applicant who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university for which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English is required to provide a TOEFL or IELTS score obtained within the last 2 years. Please upload a digital copy of your official score report to the application website.
- There is no minimum score required but the information is necessary in determining preparatory course requirements.
The following documents may be submitted optionally, and will be taken into consideration by the selection committee if available:
- Additional evidence of academic ability such as GRE general or specific test scores obtained within the last 2 years.
- Additional material such as the title and abstract of publications and oral presentations, and other evidence of achievement.
Note: The OIST Graduate School reserves the right to request an external evaluation of academic qualifications from any applicant.
There is no application fee to apply for the OIST Graduate Program.