Research Internship to PhD Pathway
While enrolling at OIST as Research Interns, students have the opportunity to apply directly to the fully-funded PhD program. This process provides great benefit for interns to have their application processed immediately regardless of the regular application deadline. In addition to the knowledge gained during the internship, qualified students may walk away with an offer to join OIST PhD program at the unit they already are familiar with.
- Host faculty and Research Intern reach mutual understanding of shared goals: willing to do thesis research together
- Join an internship at OIST for a total duration of 2 month or more (multiple internships at the same unit with the total duration of 2 months or more is also acceptable)
- Satisfy basic requirements of PhD application
- Nomination must be submitted at least 1 month before the end of internship
PhD Pathway Application process:
- Host faculty to nominate the intern for Research Internship to PhD Pathway program
- Intern student to submit PhD application online, listing host faculty as one of the recommenders
- Conduct interviews with faculty members, an Admissions Committee member, and a Graduate School Committee member
- Result announcement
For current research interns, please refer to this link for details.