Research Internship to PhD Pathway
While enrolled at OIST as Research Interns, students have the opportunity to apply directly to the fully-funded PhD program. This process provides excellent benefits for interns to have their applications processed immediately regardless of the regular application deadline. In addition to the knowledge gained during the internship, qualified students may walk away with an offer to join the OIST PhD program at the unit they are already familiar with.
- Join a research internship at OIST for 2 to 6 months
- Satisfy basic requirements of PhD application
- A nomination must be submitted at least 1 month after the internship starts and 1 month before the internship ends
Tips: An internship duration of 4 months or more can potentially be counted as passing one out of three required lab rotations during the first year of the PhD program. Please consider joining the internship for 4 months or more if possible.
PhD Pathway Application process:
- Host faculty to nominate the intern for Research Internship to PhD Pathway program
- The intern must submit the Ph.D. application online with the host faculty member as one of the recommenders at least one month before the end of the internship period.
- Complete the verification of Enrollment from your home university prior to the interview.
- Conduct interviews with at least 4 faculty members in relevant fields.
- Receive results within 2-3 months of application submission.
For current research interns, please refer to this link for details.